Saturday, April 9, 2011

Demi Lovato Admits That Rehab Was For Eating Disorder



So we may have thought that Disney star Demi Lovato headed to rehab to get over her addiction with alcohol or drugs, but it looks like she actually went because of an eating disorder, and self-harming.

For the first time the singer has opened up about her eating disorder which saw her go in to rehab for an entire year. The 18-year-old has said that she will be living with her illness forever:
"There have been times when I definitely have been tempted to get rid of my dinner,” she says. “But I will deal with it for the rest of my life because it’s a life-long disease. I don’t think there’s going to be a day when I don’t think about food or my body, but I’m living with it, and I wish I could tell young girls to find their safe place and stay with it."

She also says the most important step in her rcovery is to do what makes her happy and not listen to negative criticism.
"I allow myself a lot of freedom and I’m very peaceful now. I have come to realize that just making yourself happy is most important. Never be ashamed of what you feel. You have the right to feel any emotion that you want, and to do what makes you happy. That’s my life motto."

Finally, Demi added that she wishes that other young girls know that they will be ok if they turn to friends and family:
"If you are going through that dark period, go to your family and closest friends. Don’t put yourself in danger. It’s very crucial that you get your feelings out — but don’t ever inflict harm on your own body because your body is so sacred. I wish I could tell every young girl with an eating disorder, or who has harmed herself in any way, that she’s worthy of life and that her life has meaning. You can overcome and get through anything."
It makes sense that she has been self-harming as she recently put a tattoo on each of her inner wrists. You may remember that right before Demi went into rehab she vented over her Twitter that gossip sites were commenting on her weight and publishing pictures of her from un-flattering angles.

The media is so messed up these days. Women need to stay strong and healthy, Demi looks amazing now and I wish her all the best.